Visakhapatnam Port is the fifth busiest port in India in terms of cargo handled.
Control passed to the British in 1804 and it remained under British colonial rule until India's independence in 1947.
European powers eventually set up trading interests in the city, and Visakhapatnam came under French rule at the end of the 18th century.
The British captured Visakhapatnam after the 1804 Battle of Vizagapatam, and it remained under British colonial rule until India's independence in 1947 which was a part of the Northern Circars.
Located 40 km (25 mi) south of Visakhapatnam, it is known locally as Bojjannakonda and is a significant Buddhist site in Andhra Pradesh.
The three major schools of Buddhism (Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana) flourished here.
In 1907 British archaeologist Alexander Rea unearthed Sankaram, a 2,000-year-old Buddhist site.
The name "Śankaram" derives from the Sangharama (temple or monastery).Top to bottom, left to right: A view of Visakhapatnam and the Bay of Bengal from Kailasagiri Park, Simhachalam Temple, King George Hospital, Visakhapatnam Port, the Kursura Submarine Museum, the Visakhapatnam Steel Plant, and Ramakrishna Mission Beach Visakhapatnam (nicknamed Vizag) is the largest city, both in terms of area and population in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.It is located on the coast of Bay of Bengal in the north eastern region of the state.Hindu texts state that during the fifth century BC, the Visakhapatnam region was part of Kalinga territory, which extended to the Godavari River.Relics found in the area also prove the existence of a Buddhist empire in the region.It is situated between the Eastern Ghats to its west and the Bay of Bengal to its east, bordering on the north with the state of Orissa and Vizianagaram district and East Godavari District to the south. Control over the city fluctuated between the Chola Dynasty of Tamil Nadu and the Gajapati Kingdom of Odisha The city was ruled by Andhra Kings of Vengi and Pallavas.